A cost of medical app development is one of the aspects that should be considered before the project is started. The scope of work required to build a production ready healthcare app may be somewhat unpredictable, but there are several types of modules whose complexity a project owner can consider and assess separately.
Here is a concise set of modules (or separate medical care apps) that a healthcare IT system may consist of:
1. EMR / EHR - medical records of patients. In a more general meaning, this type of module means automation of any workflow that takes place in the medical facility or clinic being automated. The amount of time and money needed for this module is tightly tied in with the daily activities of the facility. If you would like to automate a clinic, provide your software development company with all the papers and forms you are interested in so that they could "read" your workflow. Usually, an EMR module takes 4-6 weeks worth of work.
2. Medical workflow automation. This type of functionality is usually integrated along with the EMR module. The usual workflows are medications tracking, incidents & accidents, drugs management and so on. Medical procedures development usually takes 3-4 weeks. So, on top of EMR, a few weeks should be taken into account for any extra workflow.
3. Medicare & Medicaid standards implementation. This is the most time-consuming type of project. You should be aware that CMS standards usually take 3-4 months because of their sophistication and intricacy. At the same time, this type of apps for healthcare is the most valuable type as there is a strong need for CMS standards automation in the market. Such medical applications often turn into multi-tenant SaaS systems and start serving multiple medical facilities.
4. Social component that provides an ability for doctors and patients to communicate. This component is often referred to as software for healthcare professionals and implements appointments scheduling, visits tracking, communication around patients' health and other similar procedures. This type of medical software mostly depends on the graphic design, which means that its estimate starts from 2 months.
5. Integration with medical devices. This is completely custom work because so are the devices. The amount of work required depends on the device and your goals. For example, you may want to run a medical trial or deliver a supplementary software needed for everyday use of the device. One way or another, such a supplementary medical software will take no less than 2 months to launch.
6. A huge variety of medical mobile apps - such as apps for fitness, drug handbooks, baby trackers, various calendars and calculators and so on. To assess the work scope of a medical mobile application you should understand whether this app requires a back-end (server-side) development or not. The principle is simple - if the application allows for a few users to communicate, there should be a back-end. If a user is required to log in into the medical care app, a back-end is required. A mobile app with a back-end takes 2-3 months to be launched - its estimate depends on the back-end development. If the app allows one to open it and have fun without touching upon other users, your estimate will depend on the graphic design. In this case, it is possible to deliver a nice standalone healthcare app within 4-6 weeks.
This is the amount of time needed to deliver a healthcare project. In terms of the cost, it may vary depending on the rates of medical app development companies and the number of software engineers allocated. Most medical projects require 2-3 resources to be engaged at the same time.
If your project is supposed to cover multiple types of healthcare software or contain various modules, the estimate is a sum of estimates related to separate features. This may seem a huge lot of work. When the work scope seems too big to fit in your constraints, it is recommended to grow your healthcare IT system in stages. The basement of all modules is EMR.
And make sure to hire a reliable medical application development company having engineers who know how to develop high-profile apps for healthcare!